Asymmetric digital subscriber line (ADSL) is a type of digital subscriber line (DSL) technology, a data communications technology that enables faster data transmission over copper telephone lines than a conventional voiceband modem can provide.
You will need to have a telephone landline installed first, then have ADSL.On that telephone line you pay a rental fee for the voice service and a separate rental fee is due for the ADSL service which is called your ADSL Line Rental.
- Asymmetric digital subscriber line (ADSL) is a type of DSL, which is a data communication technology that enables data to travel faster over copper telephone lines than conventional means.
- This technology works by using frequencies that are not used by a voice telephone call. The benefits of using this type of internet connection are numerous, but include the ability for a user to use their telephone line for voice, as well as data at the same time.
- As the ADSL uses the existing copper wire structure, it can be installed almost anywhere. The ADSL is faster than other remote access technologies such as analogue modems, ISDN, cable modems, or wireless solutions. DSL is cost-effective to implement and to manage with little to no maintenance involved.
- For companies looking to access the internet with fast speed and little to maintain, ADSL is thus capable and very efficient.
- Another added advantage of ADSL is the security that it provides in knowing that your line is private. When using your ADSL, you will be using a dedicated phone line, which provides for secure continuous access. You are the only one using that connection and line. There is no sharing with other users, unlike modems, where many users are accessing the same line at the same time.
- ADSL improves productivity and allows for faster more efficient upstream speeds and provides for real-time e-mail retrieval. There is no waiting for pages to load, or e-mail to be accessed, employees have better access to the materials they need at a higher rate of speed.
- Other benefits of using ADSL are the increase in connectivity, the capability to have high quality and to always be on line. This capability can be shared between more than one computer. With ADSL, there is no port blocking and no proxy servers, there is access to high quality news groups and there are service guarantees available.
- Using ADSL is no longer just for business and organisations. This technology is available to be used in the home also. Most computer owners want faster speeds and want their information to be kept secure. ADSL has become one of the most secure forms of transmitting information across the internet and homeowners are enjoying this security along with the speed of broadband technology.